Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A chicken in every pot

Historians believe the Pilgrims brought animals with them aboard the Mayflower, most likely goats, pigs and chickens. I haven't found anything in the historical record to indicate that the Separatists made chicken soup, but the idea isn't farfetched. Boiling a chicken is easy, and the resulting broth is appetizing.
Most recipes make this endeavor harder than it has to be. Here’s my simple family recipe, passed down through generations. Usually I use chicken necks and/or backs, if I can get them at the store. Often I will accumulate these parts in the freezer until I have enough to make stock. This recipe can be made with turkey parts or the leftover carcass of a roasted turkey, as well. The flavor is in the bones.
Unless I’m planning to use the meat for another dish, such as potpie or chicken salad, I consider it wasteful to use a whole chicken. However, because the grocery store offered a post-hurricane special on whole chickens at 42 cents per pound, I bought two. One I've stored in the freezer to roast at a later date; the other I’ll use to make chicken stock.
Chicken stock
1 rib celery, washed (top can be left intact)
1 carrot, scrubbed, top removed (peeled if you prefer)
1 medium onion (no need to peel if clean)
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon salt
1 whole chicken or 1 package chicken necks and/or backs
Place all ingredients in a 6-quart stock pot. Fill pot 2/3 full of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. After about 30 minutes, skim any scum that has risen to the top. Continue to simmer, half covered (lid tilted), for about two hours. The trick to good stock is long, slow simmering. When done, remove the chicken necks and backs, vegetables and bay leaf; discard. Strain the stock and serve or store in containers in refrigerator for up to three days or freezer for several months.
If you’ve used a whole chicken, refrigerate the meat for use in other dishes, such as chicken salad, chicken potpie, Turkish hash or other. Contrary to what some cooks claim, the boiled meat is delicately flavored and moist. Any self-respecting Yankee would deem it a shameful waste to toss the cooked chicken in the trash.